Tuesday, October 14, 2008

MOMA's Prefab Part Two: The Cellophane House

The Cellophane House takes the house of glass to a new level. Keiran Timberlake, a Philadelphia firm, explored material in a new way by proposing that the only layer between you and the world outside be a few pieces of plastic as this as plastic wrap. Moving through this house was interesting and strange. I would find myself forgetting which floor I was on until I looked outside because the few materials used and repeated interior spaces all looked identical. I think I might have to color code the floors with LEDs if I lived in it. This was by far the most ambitious house in the bunch. It's four floors with two bedrooms, two baths, a generous kitchen and a balcony on every floor. The aluminum beam detail caught my eye, as did the system of solar panels and the peaks into the structure one gets because of the way it's constructed. It boasts the ability to be completely off the grid and endlessly customizable.

Here's a quote from the MOMA site:
"Cellophane House encompasses the architects’ beliefs in a holistic approach to design: allowing architecture to grow out of its opportunities and constraints. It is a material moment of equilibrium that surrenders itself to any and all entropic forces that may come its way."






Home Delivery: Fabricating the Modern Dwelling

No comments: